OSHC, DOLE ensure safety of workers in the workplace

By Jennifer Catan-Tilos


Officials from the Occupational Safety and Health Center and DOLE discussing the importance of occupational safety and health standards in workplaces during the Kapihan Forum in Dumaguete City. (PIA7-NegOr)

The Occupation Safety and Health Center (OSHC) together with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reminded private institutions and government organizations to ensure the safety and health of their workers.

In a Kapihan sa PIA forum, OSHC, an attached agency of DOLE, has intensified awareness on workers’ safety and health especially in the construction industry or in hazardous occupations.

OSHC is mandated to protect Filipino workers against accidents and illnesses in their workplace and promote employees welfare.

Engr. Nelia Granadillos, OSHC division chief, presented the OSHC’s “Vision 1 Million” which aims to increase the number of OSH advocates in the country in order to prevent workplace accidents and diseases.

“We workers should always stay healthy and safe while at work,” Granadillos said.

According to Granadillos, workplace safety has its framework that starts with prevention which includes research, technical services, and training.

DOLE comes in for enforcement or the inspection of the workplace and updating the labor standards.

If accidents happen, compensation or benefits may be claimed from the Employees’ Compensation Commission (ECC), said Granadillos.

OSHC trains safety officers and safety practitioners, especially in industries considered hazardous in nature.

Representing the construction industry, Dr. Absalita Teves said that they are working on keeping their workers safe considering that construction work is a hazardous occupation.

She said the construction safety officers’ main duty is to ensure a safer construction site by prioritising the safety of construction workers.

On the other hand, DOLE Provincial Director Maritess Mercado said DOLE has been issuing work stoppage orders or the mandated halt of work of any unit, department or entire operation of an establishment when non-compliance with occupational safety and health standards poses imminent danger to the health and safety of the employees in the workplace.

OSHC offers various trainings on basic occupational health and safety, construction safety and health, drug-free workplace, and work environment measurements, among others.  (With reports from Gaven Sacedon, SU Intern)


Dengue incidents in NegOr drop during Q1 of 2017

Kapihan sa PIA 2
(L-R) Dr. Socrates Villamor, OIC-Chief Local Support Services of DOH-NIR, Dumaguete City Health Officer Dr. Ma. Sarah Tala and PIA-NegOr Infocen Manager Jenny Tilos

An official from the Department of Health – Negros Island Region (DOH – DOH-NIR) cited a three percent decrease in the number of dengue cases in Negros Oriental recorded within January 1 to June 10, 2017.

Dr. Socrates Villamor, OIC-Chief of Local Health Support Division of DOH-NIR reported during a Kapihan sa PIA forum on June 14 that a total of 914 dengue cases with six deaths were recorded from Jan. 1 to June 10 this year. The said figure is lower than the 946 cases with six deaths recorded in the same period last year.

Dr. Villamor also disclosed that the age range of dengue victims reported in the said period is from two months to 86 years old with a mean age of 19 years old. Moreover, 55% of the dengue victims are male and most of them are aged 21 years old and above.

Dumaguete City Health Officer Dr. Ma. Sarah Tala said the City Health Office (CHO) continuously validates dengue cases reported to them.

Dr. Tala also cited during the Kapihan that there are 230 dengue cases reported within January 1 to June 10 this year but based on CHO’ s community-based surveillance system there are 153 validated cases recorded from January to April  and one each for May and June, respectively. This brings the total number of validated cases to 155 with no fatalities recorded.

On the other hand, the barangay with most number of dengue cases for the same period was reflected in Barangay Banilad with 15 cases, followed by Barangay Camanjac with 14 cases, Barangay Candau-ay with 13 and Barangay Batinguel with 11 cases.

The CHO will further intensify its dengue prevention programs especially since it’s already onset of rainy season and the start of the academic year for schools.


Wit 914 dengue cases and six deaths recorded from the period of Jan. 1 to June 10, both Dr. Socrates Villamor and Dr. Ma. Sarah Tala renewed warnings to the public to guard against dengue fever-carrying mosquitoes.

Since June is Denge Awareness Month and June 15 is designated as ASEAN Dengue Day, both health officials urged community participation in the fight against dengue especially with the onset of rainy season and start of the opening of clases. (PIA7-NegOr)

Cebuano News: Kampanya sa libreng dialysis suportado sa kongreso ug PCO

By Leandria Pagunsan

BAGUIO CITY, (PIA)— Ang giduso nga kampanya sa libreng dialysis lanog nga gi suportahan sa mga magbabalaod sa Kongreso ug Senado.


Atol sa gihimong session niadtong Mayo 2 si Baguio City Congressman Mark Go mipasar sa House Bill 5503 nga nagmando sa mga national government hospitals sa tanang probinsya o rehiyon nga mobutang ug dialysis center ug mohatag sa libreng panambal ngadto sa mga pobre nga adunay sakit sa kidney.


Samtang si Senator Sonny Angara miduso usab sa sama nga Senate Bill 1329 alang sa tanang provincial government hospitals nga mobutang ug libreng dialysis ward para sa mga pobreng katawhan.


Gipasar ni Angara ang maong panukala tungod kay nakita sa senador ang mga pobreng katawhang gikan sa probinsya nga naglisod sa bayranan sa pagpatambal ug kanunayng moadto sa mga lungsod ug dakbayan alang sa regular nila nga dialysis.


Gitumbok ni Angara ang ka mahinugndanon sa libre nga dialysis gani ang ubang may sakit sa kidney nangamatay na lang tungod ky dili maka sarang sa galastohan sa regular nga pagpa dialysis.


Sa sayo pa ang Baguio Correspondents and Broadcasters Club Inc. (BCBC) pinagulohan sa ilang presidente nga si Ramon Dacawi ug sa Philippine Information Agency –Cordillera milusad ug signature drive para sa Kongreso nga mopasar sa balaodnon nga libreng dialysis sa tanang pasyente nga nanginahanglan niini.


Mga konsehal sa Baguio City nga si Edgar Avila ug Peter Fianza miduso gilayon ug resolusyon agi ug suporta sa signature drive nga ipadangat sa Kongreso.


Bag-ohay lang si Presidential Communications Secretary Marie Banaag namasalig ngadto sa mga BCBC nga ang Duterte administration andam ug taganang mo suporta sa ilang iduso nga balaodnon kay mismo si Presidente Duterte may kahingawa nga motabang sa panginahanglanon sa mga kabus nga katawhan.


Gani ang PCO nakigdugtong sa Department of Health ug Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) sa gikinahanglang pondo.(lpp/PIA7/Negros Oriental/This story was originally published at PIA Website on May 16, 2017)