Sepsis, cancer: Dumaguete’s top causes of death

By Jennifer C. Tilos

Dumaguete City Health Office has recorded sepsis and cancer are the leading causes of deaths in Dumaguete City with 1,583 and 1,116 cases, respectively from 2015 to 2018.

City Health Officer Dr. Ma. Sarah Talla also reported that in the same period about 10, 412 people died due to different causes while the number of live births in the four-year period reached only 8, 992.

However, Dr. Talla clarified that the number of deaths included those admitted in several hospitals of the city where serious cases were usually referred.

Some of those who died are not actual residents of Dumaguete City but from other cities and towns of the province and region, whose deaths are included in the report for the city as the place of occurrence, she added.

Meanwhile, the number of maternal mortality or mothers who died due to pregnancy and childbirth has fluctuated since 2015 (16 deaths), 2016 (13), 2017 (11) and 2018 (18 deaths).

On the other hand, 114 infants died before reaching the age of one-year old in 2015; 135 infants in 2016; 100 in 2017 and 113 in 2018.

It is also recorded that, 626 children (age 1-5 years old) died in the last 4 years: 157 children in 2015; 188 in 2016; 135 in 2017 and 146 in 2018.

From 2015-2016 the six other top causes of death aside from sepsis and cancer are the following: cardiac arrest, 976 deaths; Pneumonia, 926; kidney failure, 708; cerebrovascular disease/stroke 569; vehicular accidents 504 and multi-organ failure, 374.

Talla said that in many cases, people need only to live a healthy and stress-free lifestyle to avoid acquiring the diseases in the first place.

She counsels for individuals to avoid smoking, processed food and those with high cholesterol; consume moderate amounts of alcohol, salt and sugar; maintain normal blood pressure and ideal body weight; get enough sleep; maintain a well-balanced diet; indulge in a 30 minute daily exercise and eat more fruits and vegetables. (jct/PIA7-Negros Oriental with reports from CPIO Dems Demecillo)

Advertisements

Dengue incidents in NegOr drop during Q1 of 2017

Kapihan sa PIA 2
(L-R) Dr. Socrates Villamor, OIC-Chief Local Support Services of DOH-NIR, Dumaguete City Health Officer Dr. Ma. Sarah Tala and PIA-NegOr Infocen Manager Jenny Tilos

An official from the Department of Health – Negros Island Region (DOH – DOH-NIR) cited a three percent decrease in the number of dengue cases in Negros Oriental recorded within January 1 to June 10, 2017.

Dr. Socrates Villamor, OIC-Chief of Local Health Support Division of DOH-NIR reported during a Kapihan sa PIA forum on June 14 that a total of 914 dengue cases with six deaths were recorded from Jan. 1 to June 10 this year. The said figure is lower than the 946 cases with six deaths recorded in the same period last year.

Dr. Villamor also disclosed that the age range of dengue victims reported in the said period is from two months to 86 years old with a mean age of 19 years old. Moreover, 55% of the dengue victims are male and most of them are aged 21 years old and above.

Dumaguete City Health Officer Dr. Ma. Sarah Tala said the City Health Office (CHO) continuously validates dengue cases reported to them.

Dr. Tala also cited during the Kapihan that there are 230 dengue cases reported within January 1 to June 10 this year but based on CHO’ s community-based surveillance system there are 153 validated cases recorded from January to April  and one each for May and June, respectively. This brings the total number of validated cases to 155 with no fatalities recorded.

On the other hand, the barangay with most number of dengue cases for the same period was reflected in Barangay Banilad with 15 cases, followed by Barangay Camanjac with 14 cases, Barangay Candau-ay with 13 and Barangay Batinguel with 11 cases.

The CHO will further intensify its dengue prevention programs especially since it’s already onset of rainy season and the start of the academic year for schools.

 

Wit 914 dengue cases and six deaths recorded from the period of Jan. 1 to June 10, both Dr. Socrates Villamor and Dr. Ma. Sarah Tala renewed warnings to the public to guard against dengue fever-carrying mosquitoes.

Since June is Denge Awareness Month and June 15 is designated as ASEAN Dengue Day, both health officials urged community participation in the fight against dengue especially with the onset of rainy season and start of the opening of clases. (PIA7-NegOr)

Negros Oriental braces for TD Auring

By Jennifer Catan-Tilos

NEGROS ORIENTAL (PIA) – Gov. Roel Degamo of Negros Oriental still continues to call on the public and the local Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (DRRMCs) concerned to monitor weather condition in their area of responsibility as the LPA is still expected to bring moderate to occasionally heavy rains in the province.

In a Pre-Disaster Risk Assessment and provincial executive meeting today, the governor briefed the department heads and members of the PDRRMC that advisories have been issued to all DRRMOs to be alert for possible flash floods and landslides in their respective areas.

Gov. Degamo asked each department such as PSWDO to be ready all stockpiled food items for would be victims, the PEO, IPHO among others to be on standby.

In any eventuality, Degamo’s concern is to achieve zero casualty when ‘Auring” intensified its movements as the province is still under TCWS No. 1 then.

Meantime, the Department of Social Welfare and Development-Negros Island Region (DSWD-NIR) reported completion of all necessary preparations of food and non-food commodities to be used in possible disaster response operations in the region.

A total of 14,194 family food packs are now available at the office’s regional warehouses in the cities of Dumaguete and Bacolod and at the LGU warehouses in the cities of Bayawan, Bago, and La Carlota and the municipality of Mabinay.

These LGU warehouses serve as strategic launching points for the distribution of pre-positioned family food packs that may be needed by LGUs within their respective clusters.

OIC-Regional Director, Shalaine Marie Lucero disclosed today that DSWD Central Office has assured the availability of standby funds that can be used to purchase additional commodities if needed.

Lucero advised LGUs to immediately inform her office of any need for augmentation through the agency’s City/Municipality Action Teams.

The Quick Response Team (QRT) of the Field Office and in the two provinces have been activated to monitor the preparedness of the LGUs, to determine the number and assist the LGUs in the distribution of assistance to families and communities that might be affected by TD Auring. (rmn/jct/PIA7-Negros Oriental/This article was first published at PIA Website on Jan. 10, 2017)